Real Legal

Loss of Title Deeds

If you lose your property or land title deeds and you have not registered it with the Land Registry, you might have problems in the future if you try to sell or if another person tries to claim possession. Our Residential Property experts are here to give you advice on how to replace your lost title deeds and can help you to claim possession.


Is it possible to replace title deeds that are lost?

If you lose title deeds and your land or property is already registered in the Land Registry then there will be an electronic copy showing you the owners of each property and piece of land. The Land Registry has a search option to see who a property is registered to.

If a property is not registered and you think you are the owner of the property or the land, then you can fill in an application for a ‘possessory title’ so that you can claim the land as yours. This is the lowest title class that the Land Registry grants and when you have it, it means you own that piece of land. After a certain amount of time has passed, you can seek to apply for an upgrade to an ‘absolute title’.

How can we help you?

If you don’t have or can’t find evidence of your property or land ownership, then our residential property experts can help you to apply for a replacement of lost deeds and a possessory title.

Our specialists have lots of experience with the Land Registry and can make sure that your application is accurate so there are no delays.

When you have a possessory title, we will be able to give you advice on how to upgrade this to an absolute title and can advise you on the benefits this would give you as a land or property owner.

For more information on what is involved in buying a property, read our buyer’s guide to conveyancing.

To get an instant online quote for either a Purchase Only or Purchase & Sale, visit our online conveyancing cost calculator.

Contact us today